FULLY MARINATED-ROLLED-BROILED “LIEMPO”
(Pork Belly Marinated for 5 Hours Rolled and Broiled to Perfect Tenderness)
2 years ago, November 21, 2014, I posted Baked “Liempo”. (click for recipe)
This time I will be utilizing the same versatile pork cut,
on a bit different marinade mix and new cooking prep.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 3 hours
Total time: 4 hours
Cooking media: broiling pan, foil, thick thread for tying, oil brush
2 kilos boneless, skin-on pork belly-fully cleaned, trimmed
20 grams salt (sea or table)
12 grams sugar (white or brown)
8 grams cracked black pepper
10 grams chili powder
10 grams paprika powder
8 grams nutmeg powder
8 grams coriander powder
6 grams dry thyme
OPTIONAL 2 grams MSG
300 ml. red wine (any)
230 ml. 7-UP or Sprite
50 ml. EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 bunch of big stalks’ spring onion without bulbs
- In a suitable pan, pour in wine and 7-Up/Sprite. Add all powder/ground ingredients and blend well. Set aside.
2. Slit belly 0.75 to 1 inch deep on flesh side and 1.5 to 2 inches apart. (These slits will let flavors in).
3. Skin up place belly unto pan with marinade. Marinate for 5 hours in ref
- Line oven pan with foil.Brush ½ of EVOO unto all sides of belly.
- Put a bunch of spring onion in mid belly. Skin out-roll and tie with thick thread.
- Cover with 2 layers of foil to prevent flavor from seeping out during broiling.
- Set oven temp to 275degF (135degC). Pop in “liempo” and slow cook for 2.5 hours.
- After 2.5 hours remove foil. Brush the other half of EVOO unto all sides of belly again.
- Raise oven temp to 400degF (205degC) and skin up-sear in this last stage your masterpiece for 30 minutes.
- Summon. Slice some. Garnish. Serve.
Want to try Filipino “Lechon Belly”? Here’s the recipe. (click for prep)
DISCLAIMER: Above are test kitchen and household-produced dishes. All ingredients utilized are of food grade quality passing international and domestic sanitary standards. While we find the results highly acceptable, no guarantee nor explicit assurance is hereby issued when recipe is performed by readers. For one, although of similar breed, spices, herbs and other ingredients vary from country to country/region to region that possibility of affecting end taste, aroma & bite-feel is great. Further thereto, mentioned sensory evaluation (aroma, taste, mouth-feel) is subjective.