(DICED VEGGIES STUFFED SQUID COOKED DIFFERENTLY)
Mirepoix (French, pronounced “mi-pwah”)
is a food flavoring base consisting of diced carrots, onion and celery. The mixture is utilized in soups, sauces, gravies, stocks and stews.
Similar, is the “holy trinity” of Cajun cuisine where, instead of carrots, bell peppers are used.
Another option for the “health conscious”.
- 1 fully cleaned squid (“Pusit Lumot” or dark large bigfin reef squid) ink sac and pen (the hard plastic at its back) removed.
- Head/tentacles separated from body. Set aside.
- 1 carrot minced
- 4 pieces celery stalks, finely sliced
- 1 large white onion, minced
- ¼ butter further cut into 3 pieces
- 5 grams salt
- 3 grams ground black pepper
- EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- See procedures below.
2. Sprinkle salt and pepper plus drizzle of EVOO inside squid body and towards tail end put in 1 piece butter and 1 part of
Mirepoix mixture. Put in some pushing to stuff well the bottom part.
3. Put in another piece of butter and, again, 1 part of mixture. Little push needed.
4. Lastly, the 1 piece butter and the mixture. Push harder this time to tighten stuffing.
6. Lay unto table your rectangularly cut foil. Put stuffed squid in the middle. Lay beside body the head/tentacles.
Sprinkle salt and pepper and drizzle with EVOO. Wrap well securing and folding all sides to prevent leaks.
Put in middle of range pan.
7. Set temp to 350deg.F (176deg.Celsius). Pop in pan and bake for 45 minutes.
8. After 45 minutes withdraw pan. Open foil. With squid’s back side up drizzle with EVOO. With open foil,
wedge in again unto oven and continue this last stage of cooking for 15 minutes.
Listen to “seemingly frying” state inside oven.
9. DONE. Witness the smiles in your loved ones faces.