BANANA LEAVES-FOIL WRAPPED FLAME GRILLED “TALAKITOK”
(Wrapped-Seasoned Jack/Trevally Flame Grilled to Juiciness )
The height of delectability summoned to be on center stage.
To augment 250 pax’ food line up, due to non availability-in lieu of
“Grilled “Panga” (jaw) ng Tuna”,
quick decision as to alternate was needed.
The best bet-fortunately readily obtainable- was:
“Talakitok” (jack or trevally)
4 hours to deadline.
Got hold of 1 X 5-kilo “Talakitok”
2 x 3-kilo “Kubal Kubal”
( “Finny Scad”-same specie as “Jack/Trevally” but with bit rounded body)
other raw mats and behold…
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Serves: managed serving-200 (in combi with other preps)
Cooking media: enough foil, heated banana leaves (leaves become bit pliable when heated and do not easily break apart), large burners, oil brush
1 x 5kilo “Talakitok”
2 x 3kilo “Kubal Kubal”
Both fully cleaned. Abdomen slitted and on both sides at least 4 x 2 inches apart These will be the areas where seasoning will be applied for full flavor penetration.
60 grams fine salt
100 ml. EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
15 grams ground black pepper
15 grams nutmeg powder
10 grams ground oregano
10 grams coriander powder
15 grams garlic powder
- Mix all powder ingredients in suitable container. Whisk well. Set aside.
- Brush oil on ALL sides of fishes ensuring slits are well reached as well as inside of head and belly.
- On ALL parts, by fingers, sprinkle blended ingredients. Ensure inside and slits are filled. If there’s excess, rub on all parts of body.
- Lay foil in a table. 1 longer than fish-sized foil up-1 down-1 in the middle.Place banana leaf top of middle foil. Lay seasoned fish atop banana leaf.
- Cover top of fish with banana leaf then foil.
- Fold along sides ensuring there will be no escape of steam and juices as fish is grilled. If there’s a need to add more foil to wrap, go ahead. Place banana leaf top of middle foil. Lay seasoned fish atop banana leaf.
- Repeat for other fishes.
- As fish is larger than burner, on medium flame, put wrapped fish ensuring ½ of it is heated. Grill for 7 minutes.
- Slide to cook other half. Grill now for just 5 minutes.
- Turn fish to other side. Grill ½ of fish for 5 minutes. Slide and grill the other half for another 5 minutes.
- You are DONE. Witness your tenderest-juiciest-tastiest creation.
- Garnish and see the eyes of diners go wide as they partake on these gigantic sea creatures.
DISCLAIMER: Above are test kitchen and household-produced dishes. All ingredients utilized are of food grade quality passing international and domestic sanitary standards. While we find the results highly acceptable, no guarantee nor explicit assurance is hereby issued when recipe is performed by readers. For one, although of similar breed, spices, herbs and other ingredients vary from country to country/region to region that possibility of affecting end taste, aroma & bite-feel is great. Further thereto, mentioned sensory evaluation (aroma, taste, mouth-feel) is subjective.